Monday, July 23, 2012

Alaskans nicknamed Sour Doughs


I don’t know if this brings me closer to being a true Alaskan, but I have been regularly feeding and using my little piece of“starter” for many recipes. All the guys report to thoroughly enjoying me doing so too.

By this I mean my sour dough. It seems that to have fresh bread through the long winters the old prospectors would keep their starter in something tied around their necks and under their clothes to keep this precious bit of comfort from freezing. It tends to smell like very yeasty, somewhat sour, beer so coupled with the fact that they probably didn’t bathe all the long cold winter, I’m sure that these grizzly ol’ guys did smell like sour doughs which is just one of their colorful nicknames.

Personally, I don’t wear mine but I make a pretty mean loafof bread with it. Thanks to a friend’s cookbook I can also make sourdough pancakes, and lovely crepes with wild blueberry filling.
Sour dough fresh out of the oven.
Zach fried up some out of this world sour dough croutons for our homegrown greens salads (He is our designated fry cook and a great one!) The SD bread crumbs make for some zingy crab cakes and fish batter too. I’m sure that given enough time we will come up with many more delicious dishes. Being this far from the nearest store we can get pretty creative with our cooking!
Baklava 

Just today I made Baklava from scratch. That's what you do when you have way too much time and a 50 lb. bucket of honey!! Have a sweet day yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment