Sunday, April 28, 2013

Eagles

Larry says when we quit looking at eagles we have been here too long.  I guess we haven't been so far because we are still watching with open- mouthed wonder.  








This spring the eagles have been extra active or else they have relocated to the front of our happy little acres.  We sure are seeing a lot of activity.

In fact, when you next visit...Larry brought back greenhouse sheeting and started building us a nifty little viewing front porch.  Here in Alaska they call a porch a wanagan.  Regardless, of what you call it we are going to have a snug, warm, dry front viewing area on the float.

The guys are sitting out there all ready but it is only a roof and one side covered so far so I think I will wait a spell.  I have two porch rockers and little snack tables waiting.  Send working wishes north to Larry.

So back to the eagles.  In the spring our circle of life starts with the growing of the kelp.  Herring come  in and lay their eggs on the new leaves ( and I am talking Alaska leaves _ 40 footers!)  Then we have hatch lings and bigger fish move in to gorge on them.

The next stage is the predators of the fish, seal and the swooping eagles.  I think the eagles are the top of the areal cycle but the seal get eaten by Orca in the water.  It is a rough life around here but quite the show.



So again, right now we have eagles in the cedars lining our beaches.  When they spot the sparkle of scales too close to the surface they dive bomb down for a tasty mouthful.  You can see them perched on the rocks post dive with a talon full of fish.  We always know that it is an eagle by that round little golf ball white head.




I've often wondered what the adult children eagles do.  They think that nest is home but then they get rooted out by a new setting of eggs...  There is a definite pecking order.  Last fall we put deer carcases on shore where we could watch.  There was a lot of fussing and fighting but the older eagles ate first while the juveniles waited.



It is springtime now and mating season.  Eagles mate for life and use the same massive nests.  We are lucky to have some nest trees on the farm.  Right now I can hear eagles twittering.  I like it when I hear them fly over me.  Those long wings make an audible swoosh as they power by. 

Eagle mating is a spectacular display of tandem wind gliding and turning patterns culminating in a joining dive that hopefully ends before they hit the surface of the water.  I actually saw one eagle barrel rolling.  I did not know that birds could fly upside down but I saw it!  Jim said that he has seen more than one couple smack the water.

  It gives us a rush to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment